Monday, October 11, 2010

Good Books

In the last two days I have finished two wonderful books.  The Help by Kathryn Stockett and Holy Listening by Margaret Guenther.  Both of these made me put down my dust cloth in the middle of the day, settle into the green recliner, and read. 

Ok.  If you've been to my house you know it doesn't take that much to make me put down my dust cloth. 

But now I'm bereft.  There is no book in my house calling to me the way these did.  And today is a holiday!  In good conscience I could curl up with pillows, tea and read all day long.

By 5:30 I decided to take matters in hand and write Natalie Goldberg an email demanding that she write another book - and write it quickly because I'm out of wonderful things to read.  I'm a huge NG fan -  have read everything she's written.  I pull up her website, ready to pop off this ludicrous letter, when the scales fall from my eyes.  There is a book by Natalie Goldberg that I haven't read.   Top of My Lungs:  Poems and Paintings and the essay "How Poetry Saved My Life " can be purchased at amazon for $1.90 new or $1.89 used. 

And in case any readers are not aware of it - tomorrow is My Birthday. 

Alternatively, tell me the books that have caused you to neglect your duties.